1. Write the plural of the following nouns:
Piano, shelf, army, potato, safe, wolf, cliff, wife, schoolboy,
schoolchild, leaf, life, factory, knife, man, roof, photo, toy, tomato,
class, room, copy, book, note, house, wife, news, paper, home, land,
mother, country, student, typist, writer, pilot, doctor, officer, architect,
actor, actress, painter, sailor, dentist, teacher, mechanic, locksmith,
driver, composer, shop-assistant.
2. Rewrite in the plural:
1. This is a desk. 2. That‟s a clock. 3. This is a lamp. 4. Where is
the picture? 5. The picture is in the book. 6. The chair is in the room.
7. The map is on the table. 8. This is a pen. 9. That is a window.
10. The book is on the table. 11. The map is on the wall. 12. The
blackboard is on the floor. 13. I have a picture on the wall. 14. My
picture is not in the bag. 15. She has a pen and a pencil in the bag.
3. Put the following nouns in the plural form:
1. What is that child‟s name? 2. The cat has caught a mouse.
3. There was a lady, a gentleman, a boy and a girl in the room. 4. In
the farm-yard we could see an ox, a sheep, a cow and a goose. 5. Is
this worker an Englishman or a German? – He is a Frenchman.
6. Why don‟t you eat this potato? 7. This strawberry is still green.
8. The withered leaf has fallen to the ground. 9. Can you see a bird in
that tree? 10. Does your tooth still ache? 11. I held up my foot to the
fire to warm it. 12. His child studies very well. 13. This man works at
our office. 14. There is a new house in our street. 15. This story is
very interesting. 16. I have hurt my foot. 17. The wolf has been shot.
18. He keeps his toy in a box. 19. Put this knife on that table.
5. Put the following nouns in the plural form:
1. This is a bird. 2. Is that also a bird? – No, it isn‟t. That is a cat.
3. Is that a good horse? – Yes, it is. 4. Is that a cow big or small? – It
is big. 5. This is an apple and that is a flower. 6. Where is the coin? –
It is in the box. 7. What colour is the box? – It is green. . 8. What is it
made of? – It is made of wood. 9.What is that man? –He is a clerk.
10. Is he in the office? – Yes, he is. 11. Is that woman a typist? –No,
she isn‟t.- What is she?- She is a doctor.12.Is his brother at home?-
Yes. he is. 13.This house has a balcony looking out on the street.
14. The architecture of this building is quite modern. 15. This is a new
district of St. Petersburg. 16. There is a shop. A cinema and a theatre
in the new district. 17. He is a retired worker. 18. I am a doctor.
19. We hear the sounds of a child‟s voice. 20. She is a nice girl.
6. Open the brackets put the nouns in the plural or in the
1. I met some interesting _________ at the meeting. (man)
2. I need some ________ the light the fire. (match)
3. The baby got two new _______ . (tooth)
4. The farmer loaded his cart with _______ (box) of fresh
vegetables to take to market. His cart was pulled by two _______ (ox)
5. Alex saw some _______ running across the floor. (mouse)
6. The north side of the island has no ____. There are only
________ steep. No one can climb these steep walls of rock. (beach,
7. If a houseplant is given too much water, its lower ________
turn yellow. (leaf)
8. Before Marie signed the contract, she talked to two ______
9. New scientific _ are made every day in __ throughout the
world, (discovery, laboratory)
10. I caught several ________ in the lake (fish)
11. On our trip in the mountainous countryside, we saw some
________ , _________ , and wild _______ (wolf, fox, deer, sheep)
12. When we spoke in the cave, we could hear _________ of our
13. The music building at the university has 27 __________ .
Students need to sign up for practice times. (piano)
14. Thunder and lightning are ________ of nature. (phenomenon)
15. People get most of their news about the word through the
mass _________ , that is, through radio, television, the Internet,
newspapers, and magazines. (medium)